Friday, October 15, 2010

Week 5 brought me another 8-6 performance, let's hope this week goes better.
NFC
SEA vs CHI-Much to my delight, the Seahawks were on bye week last week which meant I didn’t have to worry about trying to figure them out. Much to my delight this week, they’re playing the Bears, who I have much more faith in following their convincing win without Jay Cutler. I give up for now on trying to figure out Seattle, but I don’t think they’ll be able to muster a win against the Bears this week. Victory Chicago.
NO vs TB- Last week I mentioned how I wanted to pick against the Saints but couldn’t find a team that seemed perhaps good enough. Well, I missed the chance last week, and now find myself with a 3-1 option. Problem is, it’s one of my least favorite 3-1 options out there. Sure, they looked decent against subpar teams, and had to pull an out-of-nowhere win to beat the Bengals, but I’m still not sold. Meanwhile, I have the Saints coming off an embarrassing win. Team I’m not that high on plus picking against a good team that’s going to come ready to play Sunday? Just can’t do it. Saints win.
DET vs NYG- Two weeks ago, I was ready to right the Giants off entirely. Then they upset the Bears and followed that with another phenomenal defensive performance. Meanwhile, the Lions finally got out of the gate with a trounce of the Rams. Calvin Johnson’s playing status is in question, and with the play of the Giant’s defense, Shaun Hill will need to play a great game. Giant’s win.
ATL vs PHI- Looks like Kolb will get the start and the Falcons defense could make it a rough day. The Falcons offense has gotten the job done, but has been far from impressive, save for the Arizona game. They should continue to get the job done against a fairly good, but not shut down Eagles offense. Unless the Eagles offense plays excellent or the Eagles defense really has a dominant game, Falcons win.
DAL vs MIN-Phew, this one looked a lot better 5 weeks ago. On one side, you have the most enjoyable kind of demise possible for your most disliked team: good players but not so much chemistry. On the other side, you have a beat up, wild throwing quarterback with a new toy, but not much consistency to bank on (though their many 3rd and long conversions Monday night were impressive). The winner starts to climb out of a hole, the loser puts themselves in an abyss. As much as I hate it, I have a lot more faith in Romo to Austin being able to make game breaking plays and win. Cowboys drop the Vikings.

AFC
BAL vs NE
- The Ravens have yet to step into their preseason potential that made them my Superbowl pick, but they’re definitely a major contender. The Patriots have to adjust to life without the league’s best decoy and having their other receiving options getting cracked down on. They survived a wild game against the Dolphins, but proved very little in the process. Ravens win.
CLE vs PIT- Ben Roethlisberger isn’t the type of quarterback that I’m worried about having a rough first start. He’ll be out ready to play, and tough out some nice plays even if he’s not entirely caught up from missing time. If anyone can stop Peyton Hillis, my money’s on the Steelers defense. Sorry Cleveland, I still can’t seem to pick you. Steelers win.
KC vs HOU- Sigh. Over performing team or team with a few really ugly losses? Kansas City came closer to joining the legit category in my mind with their defense’s play against the Colts, but they won’t join that list until I see something from Matt Cassel. The Texans were victims of the Giant’s defensive surge last week. Important game for both teams. The Chiefs look to rebound from their first loss and avoid starting to become the annual team that drops off after a fast start. The Texans don’t want to drop to 3-3 in a division shared with the Colts and Titans. I’m going to go against my own conventional wisdom, however. Every now and then, you’ve got to have some faith in a team you don’t trust very much. Let’s see if the Chiefs can keep it going. I’ll take Kansas City.
NYJ vs DEN- The Broncos can pass the ball, but no way will they convert such an obscene amount of 3rd and longs which kept the Vikings in the game against the Jets defense. Meanwhile, I’ll keep taking the Jets until they show a serious kink in their armour.
TEN vs JAC- The Jaguars are on a two game winning streak. The Titans are coming off a win against a desperate Dallas team and in the process look like they actually have a passing game to work with, making the Chris Johnson threat even more menacing. It’ll be interesting to see if the Jaguars keep showing a little improvement, but for now, I’m taking the Titans.

INT
MIA vs GB
- It’s tough to know how good Miami is. Does losing a game due to blocked kicks and interceptions mean you’ve got some serious problems, or does it mean you had rotten luck? On the other side, I’m starting to wonder if I was a bit too high on the Packers. Their offense hasn’t been what it was last year, and now they’re without Jermichael Finley and Rodgers has a concussion. Could be a wakeup call type game for the Packers as they lose their second in a row. Dolphins win.
SD vs STL- San Diego, San Diego. I keep thinking they’re a great team, then they get upset time and time again. Meanwhile, the Ram’s loss to the Lions and of their best receiver puts their ability to reach .500 highly in doubt, leaving the ugly 3-2 Cardinals and the uglier 2-2 Seahawks as the only threats to a sub .500 team making the playoffs. I’ll keep sticking to my guns, though. Chargers win.
OAK vs SF- You can’t even start to know how much I hate picking this game. Picking the Raiders never works out well, but who could take the 49ers? Especially after the Raiders are coming off an impressive win? Ugh. Yuck. Why schedule maker, why? I guess I’ve got to do something though. Come on, the 49ers have been playing close to some decent teams, right? I’ll give ‘em this last chance, or I very well may pick them to lose the rest of their games.
IND vs WSH- Have the Redskins actually looked good? Every year you hear about the Redskins getting good, but then they end up as an un-team with a bunch of previous big names. But they knocked off the Packers in a game I thought they’d lose to handily. But maybe their taking advantage of some bad play. If so, the Colts are a good remedy to put them in their place. Colts win.

No comments:

Post a Comment